Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Random!

Hello! I hope you all are doing well. :)

Not much to report here at JCMU, except that we have some Japanese students living here now! Students from Otemon University in Osaka are here for an intensive English course, so they're staying in the dorm for the next 10 days. One of the girls, Junko, is my conversation partner for the duration of her stay so we've been talking some. :) We had a welcome party yesterday for all of them, complete with Digiorno pizza and cookies from Costco! I had butterscotch for the first time since my arrival in Japan. Mmm!

Also, we had a really amusing Japanese lesson a few days ago. Aizawa Sensei was trying to explain to us the difference between 2 verbs, both of which mean "help". "Tetsudau" is used when you are helping someone continue what they are doing, like paint a house or do their homework. Tasukeru is used when you are helping someone out of a situation, like if they have a flat tire or if they are dying or something. To demonstrate, Aizawa Sensei had a student pretend he was drowning, and he acted as the lifeguard. When the swimmer said "Tasukete!", he "swam" over and rescued him. However, when the swimmer said "Tetsudatte!", he came over and "dunked" the person further down. XD I will never forget the difference now!Yesterday, I went with Brad to a type of restaurant I've never been before - a yakiniku place! Yakiniku literally means "cooked meat", and that's exactly what they serve you. The coolest part is probably your table - you have a little charcoal cooker nested right inside! They just turn on the gas to heat things up, and then the rest is up to you.You can order all sorts of different meats, but the easiest thing to do is to get a set so you get assortments of lots of different kinds of meat along with some vegetables. 2 of my favorites are here: Japanese pumpkin (kabocha) and Japanese sweet potato (satsuma).
Once everything is cooked, then you get to experiment with sauces. Instead of a plate, you get a compartmentalized tray, so you can have multiple sauces at once. I forgot my Japanese dictionary so we just sort of guessed at what everything was. They had sesame, teriyaki-ish, lemon, garlic, and even chili sauces. Plus, you can add other things like chili paste or sesame seeds to add texture and flavor. Mmmm.

Definitely a treat! :) If you ever go to Japan, I highly recommend going to a yakiniku place. They can be a bit pricy, but they're definitely worth it.

One more thing. :) I'm going to another concert! A band my friends have introduced me to, Abingdon Boys School, has a lead singer who also makes solo albums under the name TM Revolution. And he'll be playing in Otsu! That's between here and Kyoto, making it pretty close. It's going to be in a nice concert hall and everything. So, that's something to look forward to in a few weeks. Here's a sample of his music, as well as ABS's. :)

TM Revolution - Invoke

Abingdon Boys School - Howling

Have a great week! Sorry, I know this was kind of a random post. But this is what happens when I don't have many new pictures. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment